We've been here for over a month now and we're settling in, although I do learn new things all the time.
Its definitely the "green season". It rains every day. Usually by 2 it will be raining so we try to get our errands done early and avoid the downpour.
Yesterday we went to the outdoor market. We bought tons of fruits and vegetables for this week so we should be set. Last week we went too late (noon) and all the booths were being torn down so this week we went at 9. Ticos are early risers- and not quiet about it! Yelling, construction and loud music are all common by 6 am. I think I'm actually getting used to it because I've been sleeping later than 6 the past few weeks.
Last week I had my first clothes-drying experience outside. I put them all on the line and then the dark clouds were on the horizon. I was trying to get things done around the house but it was hard because I was watching the clothes so often. I needed to be ready to run outside and take them down quickly when it started raining. The rain comes on very quickly and in a monsoon fashion, so I was prepared. It all turned out fine because it didn't start raining until I had already left the house.
The last few days its actually been raining all day. Being from Washington, I thought I would be prepared for rain. But this is a different species. It comes on with no warning and then its all over. Your shoes are soaked, your legs have rivers running down and one side of your body is wet because your umbrella sucks and isn't big enough to cover all of you. Word to the wise- buy an umbrella before coming. Don't think that just because you're in a WalMart-owned store that the umbrellas you buy there will hold up for very long. You will end up walking down the road at 9:30 pm in the monsoon with an umbrella that only opens on one side while the other soaked, limp side smacks you in the face
(like me.)
Anyway, overall I'm enjoying my time. My classes are fun and my students are great. I have a couple big classes (9 students), a few smaller (5) and some private students. I'm still shocked at how much time I don't spend working on school stuff. I think back to teaching in the states and I am appalled at how much effort teachers put into their jobs. I don't know if I can do it again!
It already looks like its going to rain soon (its 8:20) so I'm going to go on my walk around the neighborhood.
Have a great day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
It surprises me that you guys found an area of the world where the rain is worse than the Pacific Northwest. Now what will you look for in your world explorations? A place with less sunshine?
Post a Comment