Monday, September 8, 2008

Food and September

Hello internet land!
I know this will be hard to believe, but its actually sunny today! We were just sitting outside reading and I had to come in because I was too hot! We have all the windows open in a futile attempt to air out the apartment. The mold is taking over. The wall in the kitchen is covered with mold because I think the windows are leaking. Well, we know they're leaking because we see it, but I think that's why its moldy. Our allergies are going crazy! The bedroom is especially bad because our closet is against the garage. Anything I take out of there of the moldy dresser are damp and I often times change my clothes. Jordan get itchy when he wears anything from his dresser. My backpack is so covered with mold that I can't decide whether to save it or toss it.

Jordan and I have been watching the food network a lot. Its one of the only English channel we get. This is torturous because we can't get a lot of the ingredients here. We get cheap produce, which is great. I've been eating a lot of bananas, guayabas and pineapple... mmmm....However, things like soup, peanut butter and chocolate chips are incredibly overpriced because they have to be imported. We've had to be creative to cook within our budget. I make a lot of beans and Jordan likes to make chili and chicken. He has also taught himself to bake bread- so yummy! He's quite the housewife!

It is September, in case you haven't been following the dates. It feels weird to be here the tropics while all my friends and old students head back to school! I've been thinking about them a lot these past few weeks. I feel very lucky to be here with relatively no stress. What am I going to do when I get back to teaching? It seems impossible to imagine right now even though I was in the middle of it just 3 months ago!
So... Happy New School Year to those to whom it applies! Come to Costa Rica when you need a break!
Love you all!

No comments: