Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Job and a Home

Yes, I now have both.

Last week I was offered a full-time teaching position at Intercultura, a language school in Heredia. I´m very excited about teaching there. They have a great reputation and I like the people I have met so far.

My classes will be between 4-9 students. They are mostly Costa Ricans and many are taking English classes to supplement high school and university. I will probably teach several week nights and Saturdays. That means I can take free Spanish classes at the school in the mornings (a perk of teaching English there). I will make enough to pay rent, buy food and pay other bills.

As for the home portion of the news- this was a little harder to find. We have been here 1 1/2 weeks now and everyday we have been on the internet looking for places. We also asked around, looked in the newspapers and walked around town looking for signs. One problem is that most places aren´t furnished. So, we started looking farther out of town and found a cute casita about 15 minutes by bus from downtown. We are going to rent from the couple who owns the house and the casita on their property. They live in the main house and have beautiful garden areas around the property. The casita has one bedroom, a bath with a bathtub (vary rare here) and a beautiful kitchen. Its not very typical Costa Rican living, but we´re excited because its beautiful and quiet. We learned the other day its just down the hill from a national park, so we´ll be checking that out too.

Here is the ad for it: http://costarica.es.craigslist.org/apa/747040805.html


So... we move in tomorrow and and I start training for my job Monday of next week. Right now, we´re doing great!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are starting out well for you cats! We miss you a lot in the PacNW but I'm proud you took the plunge into this adventure. Warm thoughts to you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting your job! It sounds like everything is falling into place for you guys. Has Jordan been able to find work down there too? Anyways I hope that you like your new job and your new place to live and that everything continues to go well. Talk to you soon,
Sara

Unknown said...

Hey there :) I'm so happy to hear that everything has worked out!! I can't wait to see some pictures. Say hi to Jordan!!

Anonymous said...

I have decided you need to blog more. After that, I have decided that we need to come down there and visit. Then I decided to get some breakfast. Ciao!